VDI vs RDS- Get to know the difference
More and more companies are now looking for a remote connection. Companies have understood that it is a convenient and profitable way of working. 2020 significantly have augmented remote connection because of the lockdown and quarantine. With the increasing need for remote connection, users started looking at several technologies that will allow them to have a virtual workplace.
What is important here is that we choose the right variant, which will be optimal and efficient. Along with all this, we also need to have a convenient working environment that will not let the company suffer any losses. Having said that, VDI and RDS technologies were the hot topics of 2020. These two are not just cutting-edge technologies, but they are commonly used as well.
If you are a tech savvy person, you will already know what VDI and RDS technologies are; however, when it comes to a non-technical person, it is apparent to get confused with these two technologies.
The confusion increases even more when you find out that most of VDI and RDS technologies’ features are actually the same. However, if you start researching them, you will see that there are many differences as well. So, which technology solution is the best in terms of business? Let’s try and understand what VDI and RDS technologies are, and which one should you go for?
VDI stands for virtual desktop infrastructure. This technology can enhance your virtual experience. Desktop images that you will see will be running on something called virtual machines, and the good thing about this is that the end-users will get to access them over the network without any issue.
So how does this work?
- On a virtual server or remote physical server, an isolated virtualized environment will be created. To explain this to you in simple words, a division will be created into different desktops.
- Once the isolated virtualized environment is created, the user who will be working in that environment will be provided with remote access to the desktop. The protocol that will be sued is RDP. However, to do this, the users will be required to have a personal device, this can be a PC, laptop, or even a mobile gadget, and they should have internet connectivity as well.
- Depending on the number of users, they will be provided with their dedicated virtual machines. No matter how many users are there; they will be able to install and even uninstall applications with partial or full admin rights.
What are the benefits of VDI?
- VDI gives you the ability and mobility to work remotely. You will not have to install any software on the laptop, mobile device, or PC.
- VDI requires low device performance and technical characteristics. The commands will be executed and processed on a centralized server. This way, the maintenance cost gets reduced.
- Virtual environments can be isolated. Individual user’s work processes will be separated maximally.
- Data security is there. If your business deals with sensitive and vital data, VDI will be ideal for you because it gives data security.
Now that we know what VDS is, it’s time for us to know about RDS in details as well. RDS stands for Remote Desktop Services. This is a Microsoft product, and it allows users to access a virtual machine or computer remotely. Names, such as terminal server and terminal access are often associated with RDS.
Like VDS, even RDS will allow you to deploy full-fledged desktop and applications for users without installing any software on the device you are using. The server will be responsible for whatever calculations that are required.
So, how does it work?
- Necessary software will be installed on centralized server hardware, which means you don’t need to install anything on the device that you are using.
- Users will have to connect to the centralized server through their device. Through RDP protocol, users will be connected, and they will get to access the desktop.
- On the connected device, the desktop interface will be displayed. Command processing will appear on the server.
What are the benefits of RDS?
- RDS ensures confidentiality and security of the business process. The data remains protected, and they don’t go beyond the protected network.
- The end-user will not have to worry about managing applications and devices.
- Device maintenance is much lower. There is nothing to install, and you don’t need to worry about software upgrade as well. Everything will be done from the centralized server.
Which one is better?
If you are working in a corporation with multiple branches and often face administration difficulties, we will suggest going with VDI technology. VDI will allow you to work more efficiently if you are a large company with many remote employees. VDI will be a better option for you. VDI allows your users to continue their work in the usual format. For medical facilities, VDI technology will be a better choice. Since medical facilities need to require data security, through VDI protocol, you will get to access patients records safely and securely. Finally, call centres. Call centres deal with multiple client’s data on a regular basis, and they also work in various shifts, which means availability and access to data and applications are the priorities. VDI implementation will surely optimize the whole process.
In short, VDI is a better remote technology option for large and medium enterprises; however, for small businesses, VDI may not be the right choice.
This is when RDS comes in. RDS technology is the right and the best option for small businesses. For start-ups and stores, where they have to manage a small staff, RDS is a profitable and cost-effective choice. Simultaneously, small companies should not go for VDI because it will make them spend more money. Hence, our recommendation would be to go for RDS. It will let you pay less and will also make you and other users work more efficiently.
VDI and RDS technologies from Intuition Consultancies
If you are thinking about implementing new business solutions that will increase your productivity, virtual desktop technology is the best thing to consider. Intuition Consultancies is right here to get you started. With VDI and RDS technologies, your staff will be able to work from anywhere and anytime.
Intuition Consultancies offer both VDI and RDS technologies, and we have operational, technical support that is available for you 24 x7, we provide 24-hour server monitoring, and guaranteed 100% uptime.
Remote virtual desktop access has become a norm now. If you want your business to grow, then contact Intuition Consultancies today. Big, small, or medium enterprise, we have technology solutions for everyone. If you aren’t sure whether VDI or RDS technology will be a good choice for you, simply give us a call so that we can understand your requirements, and likewise offer you the best solution.
Intuition Consultancies is here with our best solutions that will make you more productive and efficient. Get in touch with us today!